24 March 2010

My Worst Parenting Mistake To Date

So EV has an awful cold with this nasty, constant flow of snot running out her nose.  Last night was horrible.  She was like a newborn again, waking up at least every hour, anytime she coughed or was too stuffy to breathe.  Needless to say, we both got very little sleep.  Anyway, my point is that she woke up this morning with a snot ball of hair plastered to her face.  Ugh!  (I don't let her sleep with hair clips because she has a tendency to take them out and put them in her mouth.)  After her bath, I got this whirlwind idea to cut her hair, just the front where it wouldn't dangle past her nose enough to get caught up in any more nastiness.

Elayna, Mama's so sorry.

The girl has bangs!  And I thought I'd trimmed her hair just long enough to stay out of her nose but still look like her hair was long.  Oh no, never.  What I failed to factor in were her curls.  So now, she's got bangs.  Very short, poofy, ugly bangs.  I didn't even cut enough to be considered as bangs, just the very front.  But her hair's so thick that it definitely looks like I trimmed everything that would be included in bangs.  And then to make it better (rather worse), her curls aren't even close to symmetrical, so as her hair dried, some parts got higher and higher while others were left pretty long.  Being the irrational person I am, I get the scissors back out and trim the areas that look to be ridiculously long.  This is the end result!  WHAT WAS I THINKING?!!!  I promise to never try to cut her again.  It's a good thing we have so many hair clips.  We're going to need them.  Grow hair grow!

Oh and to top off the week thus far, I slammed EV's little finger in the door last night.  She was pushing on the door, I pulled it shut so she wouldn't fall through and WHOA did she scream.   Poor girl, for a half second I thought she was angry that I'd taken her toy away, then I realized that was a scream of pain and when I looked down her finger was stuck in the door.  Mama is so so so sorry.  It looked mangled and I was certain that I'd cracked her nail.  She wouldn't let me put any ice on it and just wanted me to hold her.  I grabbed one of her teething rings (yes, still in the freezer from I don't know how many months ago) and let her play with it.  That did the trick.  She's getting more teeth, so she really enjoyed mouthing it and then held it with the same hand that was shut in the door.  So her little fingers got the cold they needed.  After awhile, I looked her over and there wasn't even a mark on her, you can't even tell which finger it was.  That's it; Ryan needs to come home.  I'm not cut out for single parenthood.