21 January 2010

Flashcards

SHOULD'VE CLARIFIED:  I used 4x6 blank notecards.  One for the number & text.  One for the counting shapes.  And one in the middle to give it more stability.  (Let me tell you, these things are hoss.  And will definitely hold up better than store-bought flashcards.)  Then I laminated the three cards together using Scotch Thermal Laminates.  But since I don't have one of those fancy $40 machines, I used an iron to seal it --with material between the iron and laminate for protection.  Voila! 

Those are all great ideas.  I love the "color your own" flashcards.  Think I'll do those next.  Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

ORIGINAL POST:
I know she's a little young to be learning numbers and letters... but I figured I'd let her play with the images anyway, get her used to seeing them & then she can think about what they mean later.  (Thanks Rachel for the idea.  You're such a teacher.) The problem was that I didn't want to be throwing cheesy cartoon characters & other images in Elayna's face, and that's the only thing stores sell.  So I made my own.  They don't look factory-made by any means, but I kinda like that too.  They're original and unique.  (Yes, I know I've set her up for failure with a 9 that looks like an upside down 6.  She's already scarred with an atypical spelled name.  She'll survived.)


So I have a few questions.
1.  Do you think this is something I can make as a gift later down the road for EV's friends?
2.  What should I put on the opposite side of the alphabet cards?  Right now, I just have the capital & lowercase letter on one side.  I think it'd be a waste to not put something on the blank space, but I want to stay with the theme and not put something silly on it.  I'm thinking about taking pictures of things that start with that letter or even just drawing something.  What do you think?