17 January 2013

SOME watchdog!

Fire trucks, an ambulance, and a small army of workers are right outside our house and Mati never barks or lets me know or anything. I wake up to a blazing red window and immediately start freaking out on my exhausted, just back from the field, sleeping like a log husband.

But being the grumpy bear he is, gives it a half a thought and rolls back over, telling me to find out if everything's okay. What?! The block could be burning down and he'll just leave it to chance? Not me! I'm putting some clothes on when I see a monster walk right past our window. Firefighters in full getup are knocking on our door wanting to check our home for Carbon Monoxide. Okay... please do! They explain that our neighbors had very high readings and just wanted to check things out on our side of the duplex. What does Mati do? Not a thing. Oh she knew they were in our house, but didn't offer one bark or even so much as a boof. THAT was weird. Well they didn't find anything and didn't recommend we evacuate the house since it wasn't likely to seep through our common wall. Y'all, my mind is not at ease.

And now neither one of us is sleeping. Ryan because of all the engine sounds and lights flashing just outside our window and me because I have this sense of responsibility to stay awake and protect my family in case they all pass out from poisoning. I know, that's dramatic.

Anyway, everyone's okay (I think). I'll be sure to visit them in the morning.

I am, however, just a bit dismayed at how little Mati, our protector from all things evil, cares about neighborhood happenings. We could all be dead and she'd be like, "My bed's so warm. I'm a happy dog."