17 May 2011

Shimmy Shimmy Shake


Well these guys are ready to be transferred from their cup to the pavilion. When I removed the cup lid, one of them started shaking like something scary. I could see the innards moving around and it was just plain freaky. It reminded me of when I was preggers and could see my babies moving around.  Creepy.  It violently shook the whole time I was pinning the paper to the enclosure and for a few minutes afterward. Is this normal?

In the other cup, four caterpillars have become chrysalides and we have one late bloomer.  He's been crawling around on the others for a few days and just now started hanging upside down this afternoon.  I hope he STAYS upside down this time and that the others don't break free before I can get them all pinned in to the pavilion too.

This is so exciting!  We're totally doing this next spring too!

Elayna has even decided to name a few: A, B, C, D, E, F, and G.  Mabes, you better decide now if you want to name any butterflies!  There are still a few left nameless.  Aaron?  Eli?