29 March 2010

The Mock Smock

Two nights ago, I was thinking of ideas to sew for Elayna this summer.  One of the easiest articles of clothing EVER is the pillowcase dress.  There are many variations.

There's really no way you can botch up a pillowcase dress.  I was first introduced to it when the ladies in our congregation started contributing to a children's clothing ministry in Africa.  There's no telling how many of these things I've made, including the one from before Elayna was born.  Laying in bed, I was trying to come up with ways to vary the dress while still keeping it simple.  Did I mention how I am in love with the cutest summer dress by Baby Gap that Renee had just bought for Elayna.  

And its smocking made me realize that I could totally make an imitated version, easy.  So that's where I give you the title of this post, "The Mock Smock."  If you're really that curious and unable to figure it out, I plan to make another Mock Smock Dress before summer gets here and document the process... for my tutorial debut.  Until then, here's the summer dress I made for Elayna.  Jess, no making fun of the old lady yellow flowers.  (EV was taking a nap, so I had to snap the shot without her modeling it, sorry.)