27 February 2008

Little Liars

This morning, I hear the dogs whooing at some kids on the other side of the fence. About ten minutes later, they ring my doorbell, stating the dogs have taken their toy.

"Oh, what did my dogs take from you? How did they get it?"
"A bucket. They stole it through the squares in the fence."
"Okay, I'll get it for you."

So I find the bucket (which is as big as my head and couldn't possibly fit through the "squares in the fence"--aka "chainlink") and again ask them how the dogs got it.

"They took it."
"How? I don't think this can fit through the fence."
"They jumped over the fence, took it, and then jumped back."
"Really? The dogs don't jump over the fence. Are you sure you didn't throw it over?"

The story-teller of the bunch begins to panic and points to her friend, "She threw it over!" This little girl looked so sweet and innocent too! She had to be all of four years old. If her lies hadn't been SO obvious, I would've believed her. Geesh.